Thursday, October 3, 2013

It's Just "See Ya Later"

Last night, I said "See ya later" to Matt; someone I have known my whole life and has been one of my best friends for the past six and a half years.  I can tell you exactly when we went from casual church friends to on our way to being best friends.  Summer before our freshman year, we had the opportunity to go to Nauvoo, IL, an LDS church historical site, for Youth Conference.  Matt and I happened to be in the same group (something I now consider divine intervention) and were in the Nauvoo Visitor's Center.  I was wandering around when I noticed Matt standing by himself looking at this large window overlooking the garden.  For details that are unimportant here, I knew something was wrong.  I went up to him, I don't remember what was said, but we walked around the Center's garden.  We hung out a lot that weekend and after that how could I not become his friend?  Matt had this hard exterior when we became teenagers, but I had seen past that.  I discovered someone who has a bigger heart than anyone I know our age.  Someone who's compassion and patience always astounds me.

It may be super blurry, but this was the earliest picture of us on Facebook.
This was Youth Conference our second year.  
Helping each other out became the foundation of our friendship. From petty drama to people (and Matt, I know one person will spring to mind immediately) whose opinions were flat out wrong (as well as horribly rude).  To broken collar bones and broken hearts.  To knowing when a grandparent dies that no words can help, but a very long hug is greatly appreciated.  I can't imagine surviving my high school years without this kid.

But don't worry.  We had fun too.  And so, these are some of my favorite memories of Matt (as well as some awesome pictures):


  • Most important first: Music.  Matt can sure play the guitar, along with a host of other instruments including his voice. We've done two church talent shows together and a special musical fireside.  But some of my favorite memories are at his house or at the church and just listening to him play and singing along when I knew the song.



    • The seminary party at the Newell's house for Halloween sophomore year.  I don't know anyone who loves Nightmare Before Christmas more than Matt and we watched it sitting side by side.
     
    The hatted head is Matt.  The other guy is his brother Kyle.
    • This picture:
    Need I say more?
    • At a bonfire at my house the night before the Fourth of July, Matt found out I would be spending it alone.  He was having none of that.  He had his Dad come and get me and I spent the day with him and his family.
    • Matt and our friend Chad dancing or skipping together...

     



    • Matt and I spent a lot of our third Youth Conference, a Pioneer trek, together along with a few other friends.  Other than just general goofing off, at one point him and another guy were wrestling and one of the adults from our ward threatened them with a frying pan.
    • Its all fun and games until the frying pan comes out.

      • Forcing me to go down the really scary, super fast water slide.  Wait, did I say that was a good memory?  Well, its a memory at any rate.

      • A tradition of stealing hats.  Matt always has a hat on. I however not as much, so he has to take advantage of it when it happens.



      • During our fourth Youth Conference together, one of the girls in our groups boyfriend broke up with her at the start of it.  We all tried to keep her mind off it and just enjoy the weekend.  If you know Matt, you know he's a flirt.  He flirts with everyone.  When we were younger he got a bad rap for it, but as we got older I could see that it was just him trying to make people happy.  Well, at this particular Conference we were standing in line getting dinner and he had been swapping pick up lines with this girl and she was smiling.  Matt turned to me kind of seriously and said, "Ya know, I just want to see you girls smile.  And I've learned flirting is one of the quickest ways to do that."  That first sentence is Matt in a nutshell.  


      I think on that note, I'll end this little list.  But this isn't goodbye; you can't get rid of me that easily! It's simply a "See ya later" whether that's a few months, many years, or in the next life.  But you'll always be a part of me Matthew.    

      The photo we took tonight.  We were hot, sweaty, and tired,
      but I needed one last picture until we see each other again.
      And I know this move is going to do amazing things for you Matt.  Good luck.  Behave yourself.  Take care of yourself.  Know that no matter what, I'll be here for you.  And as Green Day would say, "I hope you have the time of your life."

      Love, Chelsea <3 


      No comments:

      Post a Comment