Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The "Cute" Problem

I am sure that whatever idea the title gives you, is not the direction I'm heading.  This is not a post about pink hearts or cats in cups.  No, this post hopefully has a bit more substance than that..
When I say I'm talking to some guy, the first question my female friends ask me is,
"Is he cute?"
Really?!  There are a few things that are just not okay with this, and since I apparently can't write a blog post without a list, these reasons are coming at you in list form!

  1. Looks are completely subjective.  For instance, I find Zach Galifianakis attractive and I'm sure more than one person out there will disagree with me.  My telling you that I think this guy is cute tells you absolutely nothing about him which brings us to my second point.
  2. If I am telling you that I am talking to someone, we're most likely friends.  Shouldn't you be concerned about anything else?  I don't know.  Maybe you should be asking if he's kind.  Or if he makes me happy.  Even what his major is would be better than asking if he's cute.
  3. I thought women, as a general rule, were tired of being objectified.  Why then is the first question I'm asked about a guy related directly to his appearance?  If as women, we do not want to be objectified, maybe we should stop objectifying men.  Lead by example!
Whew.  Glad I got that out of my system.  *steps off soap box*
And for those of you disappointed by the lack of cute in this post, here's kittens in a cup.
Adorable.
   

2 comments:

  1. Personally, my question would be whether or not he's hot. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teri, I think you may have missed the point. :p

      Delete