Monday, July 16, 2012

But... Reading IS Fun

I ran into a girl who was in my English 1010 class today on campus.  I had stopped by Outtakes to get something to drink and then I was  going to sit outside with my book and enjoy the weather and riveting words.  We exchanged pleasantries.  The typical small talk about why we were still in Cedar and that life was good.  We exited the store and she asked me if I was going to work.  (I still had on my housekeeping shirt).  I explained that I had actually just come from work and that I was planning on relaxing for a little while by reading a book outside.  I should be used to what came next.  With complete and utter sincerity she asked me, and I quote, "Wouldn't you rather do something fun?"
I stared back at her.  Didn't she know I owned close to a hundred books?  Didn't she know that I had read the fifth (and longest) Harry Potter book in the space of two days while I was still in elementary school?  Didn't she know that I can't go into a book store without finding at least a couple books I want to buy?  Didn't she know that I am so enamored with the written word that I've decided its what I want to do with my life; to write the books that will touch peoples lives as my life has been touched by books written by others?  I could have given an epic speech, but instead I simply replied, "But, reading is fun."
Honestly, I get asked this question much more often than is acceptable, but this time it struck a chord.  This is due to the book that I am currently reading: Fahrenheit 451.  For those of you who don't know, Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian piece in which books are banned.  If they find books in your home, not only will they burn your books, they'll burn your house and cart you off to jail.  But its not just the books.  Anything and everything that requires some thought is gone.  Philosophy, science, religion, art, theater, music, etc are gone.  And the saddest part?  It didn't start off as a government mandate.  The people didn't want to think anymore.  They just wanted to have mindless fun.
When I started reading it, I didn't think it could ever happen.  It was outlandish.  Then the above conversation happened and I was reminded that science fiction has a way of predicting the future.  When Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 there wasn't much mass to the media.People didn't spend hours and hours watching TV.  There was no internet or cell phones or iPods.  And yet he predicted how disconnected our society could become.
One closing thought before I leave.  I decided to read Fahrenheit 451 so I could participate in video bloggers John and Hank Green's summer book club.  They chose the book because the "novel" Fifty Shades of Grey has sold more copies than Ray Bradbury's books combined sold in his lifetime.  One of America's great writers has sold less books than someone who wrote complete smut.  If that isn't cruel irony, I don't know what is.      

1 comment:

  1. Now I think I might read Fahrenheit 451 after I finish Jane Eyre. Thanks Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete