Sunday, June 17, 2012

Not Your Average Father's Day Post


I really do not like today.  It reminds me in full force what I lack, and I don't like that.
For those of you who know me well (and now all who read this post), know that I do not know my father and, most of the time, have no desire to.  He's an alcoholic.  He's been in and out of jail.  I know he never went to college and I'm fairly certain he didn't graduate high school (I'd be surprised if he had).  Most of the time, I really don't like admitting we share some DNA for those reasons.
But sometimes I wish I could meet him.  These reasons are purely spiteful.  I like to believe that my Mom did an amazing job raising me.  She pushed me to be the best I could be.  She never wanted anyone to say, “Oh, she’s from a single parent home. You’ll have to excuse her.”  I graduated high school.  I'm receiving a college education, and earning my own money.  Because of family history, I've never smoke or drank and have no desire to.  I've never even been to the principal's office let alone done something big enough to get me thrown in jail.  I hope to be able to get a good job and one day get married and have a family of my own.
I want to meet him so I can show him that I am nothing like him.  That I am making something of myself, even though he never did because he couldn't change.  That him not being in my life, didn't make me just another statistic.  That I'm a better person, because I never wanted to be like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment